8 Feb 2018
Challenges and opportunities in the U.S. energy markets
The U.S. energy markets are seeing a time of policy uncertainty and change in the economics of generation assets. Investors, developers and big utilities are looking for guidance on how to react to the changing environment to defend their revenue lines and turn the transitional risks into business opportunities.
Various markets see different trends, requiring different strategies to be successful: ERCOT’s coal is closing down and new capacity is needed. In CAISO the roll out of solar PV is gathering speed. PJM is undergoing a rapid shift from coal to gas due to the availability of cheap shale gas.
Ultimately, the questions all stakeholders in these markets are trying to answer are: How will my assets perform in future? And which technologies should I invest in and divest from?
On Tuesday 6th February 2018, these key themes were addressed in Pöyry’s latest webinar: The PJM Power Market in Transition.
The webinar marked the launch of Pöyry’s inaugural Pöyry Independent Market Report for the PJM market and also provided a review of the end-of-2017 updates of our ERCOT and CAISO reports. Questions of concern to PJM market players were addressed, including:
- How will PJM wholesale electricity and capacity market prices develop? What are the uncertainties around the key drivers?
- As gas price projections continue to fall, will ‘unsupported’ coal-fired generation be driven out of PJM’s capacity mix? Or could there be a medium-term renaissance for existing coal- fired generation operating more flexibly? Which other developments would support this?
- What is the potential for beyond-RPS merchant renewables build as renewable costs fall? How will that impact existing thermal and renewable assets?
Featured speakers included:
- Matt Brown (Vice President Energy Western Europe, Middle East and Americas);
- Stuart Murray (Head of Energy MBG USA);
- Richard Sarsfield-Hall (Director, supervising Pöyry’s expansion into U.S. electricity markets);
- Sarah Elias (CAISO and ERCOT market lead); and
- Ingolf Dorn (PJM market lead).
Register to view a recording of the webinar to hear what was discussed.
Contact any of the speakers if you would to arrange a call or meeting. A comprehensive list of all our available Pöyry Independent Market Reports is available on our website.
Did You Know?
Pöyry has been active in the U.S. for 30 years.
Pöyry is an international consulting and engineering company. We deliver smart solutions across power generation, transmission & distribution, forest industry, chemicals & biorefining, mining & metals, transportation and water. Pöyry's net sales in 2016 were EUR 530 million. The company's shares are quoted on Nasdaq Helsinki (POY1V). Approximately 5500 experts. 40 countries. 130 offices.
Photo credit: www.colourbox.com