Pöyry has a comprehensive understanding of the complex issues associated with decommissioning old nuclear facilities.
Pöyry has supported the specific challenge of decommissioning redundant nuclear facilities for many years, and is fully conversant with the regulatory and operational requirements for decommissioning works. We are able to offer our clients support in all of their decommissioning tasks from post operational conditions through to Green Field Site.
Our decommissioning experience encompasses nuclear power plants and research reactors, as well as research, fuel cycle, and waste management facilities. This experience covers strategy development, option studies, decommissioning methodologies, safety justification and evaluation together with waste route definitions and waste management and inventory studies.
Pöyry undertakes radiation surveys and operates a radiation measurement laboratory utilising advanced equipment in support of radioactive material release and site clearance.
Our clients have included both operators and regulators as well as decommissioning contractors. Innovative solutions have been provided to the complex problems associated with decommissioning old facilities.
- Decommissioning and dismantling studies:
- sequence, methods, pre-conditions, physical health protection
- Nuclear hazards evaluation
- Radioactive inventory assessment
- Radiological measuring
- Waste treatment studies:
- classification, packaging,conditioning, disposal options
- Site monitoring / supervision
- Review of dismantling and waste treatment procedures
- Safety assessment with regard to nuclear safeguards:
- environmental impact, radiation protection, internal & external hazards
- Licensing support:
- operation, decommissioning, site clearance